Tuesday, March 11, 2008

A bit more on visual/auditory learners (and others)

With regard to differentiated instruction, I make it a point to always search for various ways to teach spelling to my students. I have been experimenting with a concept I call the Wheel of Words which incorporates instructional activities that will reach multiple intelligences and the various learning styles that encompassed by these intelligences. I have constructed a few wheels that are mounted to a spinning device with an arrow - it looks similar to the wheel used on Wheel of Fortune, but(obviously) not nearly as large. I am able to interchange several wheels that I have made. On the wheels are different strategies that I have found that cater to multiple learning styles. For example, on one "Wheel of Words" there are 6 categories – Act It Out, I Sentence You, Word Pictures, Word Boxes, Take the Stairs, and Take a Trip. Act it out is a charades-like game. I Sentence You makes children compose sentences with the words and spell it at the end of the sentence. Word Boxes is entails tracing the shape of the words. Take the Stairs makes students use the last letter of the word to make the first letter of a new word in stair-like patterns. Take a Trip entails having students make word associations with the words. I have three of these Word Wheels and I find that children respond well to the novelty of them.

No comments: