Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Some characteristics of my auditory learners


The auditory learner learns through verbal instructions. I frequently see these students repeating something to themselves to commit it to memory. I recall in teacher’s college our professor telling us that auditory learners are the ones who remember names, but forget faces. So, I imagine that I am more of a visual learner in this respect.

My auditory learners are the ones who move their lips while reading, or talk lowly to themselves while reading, to enhance their comprehension. When I am teaching them spelling, phonics is the way to go. They respond well to and employ word attack strategies that are auditory in nature – sounding words out, rereading the sentence aloud. If they are working on a problem, they’ll talk themselves through it.

When my auditory learners are bored, they like to hum, sing or even talk to themselves! They like hearing themselves and others talk, and they’ll tell stories that are much longer than anyone else’s’!

No comments: